Karela is the Indian name of Bitter Gourd/Bitter Melon, widely known for its bitter taste.It also has medicinal effects for diabetes and blood sugar.Generally people are not game for karela dishes because of its bitterness but in this recipe I have added some sweet and sour flavour to it.Just try it and you want to have it again and again like me.
Karela/bitter gourd 250 gm
Onions 3 medium size
Dhaniya/coriander seeds 1/2 tsp
Saunf/Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
Jeera/cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Haldi/turmeric pw 1/2 tsp
Red chilli pw 1 tsp
Amchur/Dry mango powder 2 tsp
Sugar 1 tsp
Oil 3 tbsp
1. Cut both karela and onions lengthwise and remove the seeds from karela.
2. Now boil the karela peices in water mixed with salt.
3. Drain out the water and keep the karela aside.
4. Heat oil in a kadhai then add dhaniya seeds , fennel seeds, jeera,onions and all the other masalas in it.Mix well.
5. Add the karela peices and add sugar and salt.Fry it for 10 min. Now it is ready to serve.
Note: You can also use fresh raw mango peices instead of amchur/dry mango powder.