Wishing all my friends and family members a very happy and colourful HOLI.Holi is a festival of colours and it represents the victory of good over evil.On this occasion gujiya is made in most of the households in north India.
All purpose flour/Maida 500 gm
Khoya/mawa 500 gm
Sugar(powdered) 300 gm (Adjust it according to your taste)
Dry coconut(dessicated) 2 tbsp
Semolina/Suji(roasted) 2 tbsp
Cardamom pw 1 pinch
Oil 5 tbsp + for deep frying
1. Take flour and mix 5 tbsp oil in it then knead it into a hard dough using little water at a time.Cover it with a damp cloth and keep aside.
2. For the filling take grated khoya in a kadhayi/pan and fry it on medium heat till golden in colour.Remove it from heat and let it cool down.
3. Take this khoya in a bowl and add powdered sugar,raisins,chopped almonds,roasted suji,cardamom powder,dessicated coconut in it and mix all the ingredients.
4. Make small size balls from the dough and roll it in a circle using a rolling pin.Put a spoonful of mixture in the centre and apply little water on the edges then fold it in a semi circle.Seal the edges by pressing with a fork(all along the seams).
5. Make all the gujiyas and keep them covered with a cloth.
6. Heat oil in a kadhayi and deep fry the gujiyas on medium flame till golden in colour.
7. Take out and place on kitchen paper towel.
8. Let them cool then keep in an airtight container.
Note: 1.You can also use gujiya mould.Just place the rolled dough ball on the mould,put a spoonful of mixture on one side.Apply little water on the edges of the round and close the mould.Remove extra dough from the edges and take out the gujiya from the mould.
2. Suji is optional.You can remove it if you don't like.Also you can add dry fruits of your choice.I like adding melon seeds also.
3. You can get khoya from Indian stores or it can be made at home using full cream milk.Take milk in a heavy bottom pan/kadhayi and reduce till it becomes almost solid.I used home made khoya for the gujiyas.