You have heard about chhole-bhature,chhole-tikki,chhole-chawal,chhola-samosa ,chhole -poori and all these yummy dishes has one thing in common and that is chhole.So today I am sharing this chhole masala recipe.Other names of chhole are chickpeas,garbanzo beans,kabuli chana.
Chhole/chickpea 1 cup
Ginger 1 inch
Garlic 2 cloves
Tej patta/bay leaf 1-2
Hari elaichi/Cardamom pods 2
Kaali mirch/black peppercorn 6-7
Chhole masala 1 tbsp
Amchoor/dry mango pw 1/2 tsp
Red chili pw 1 tsp
Oil 3 tbsp
1. Soak the white chholas in normal water overnight or in hot water for 2-3 hours.
2. Pressure cook it with 3 cups of water,salt till the chholas are done.
3. Make a paste of onion,ginger and garlic.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add tej patta,laung,kaali mirch,hari elaichi.Now add onion-ginger-garlic paste in it and fry till golden in colour.
5. Add finely chopped tomatoes,salt and all the masala.Mix well and fry till the oil separates the masalas.
6. Add the boiled chholas with water and check its consistency, if required add more water.
7. Cook for 5-6 minutes on medium flame.Mash some of the chholes roughly(to thicken the gravy).
8. Serve hot with rice, onion wedges.
Note: Chhole masala is a ready made masala for this recipe.It is a combination of several spices.But in case you don't have chhole masala use garam masala,coriander powder.