Ridge gourd is commonly known as tori/turai in hindi,jhinga in bengali,gisoda in gujrati,beera kaya in telugu,heeray kayi in kannada,dodaka/ghosawala in marathi.It is harvested and popular in Asia and Africa.This recipe is simple and light that is easy to digest.I am going to share two recipes here.
Ridge gourd 250 gm
Green chili 1
Carom/Ajwain seeds 1/2 tsp
Turmeric pw 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida 1 pinch
Oil 1-2 tbsp
1. Peel and wash the turais and cut in small round pieces.
2. Heat oil and add ajwain seeds,asafoetida.
3. Now add chopped onions,green chili and fry till the onions are golden in colour.
4. Add the pieces of turai,salt and turmeric powder.
5. Cover it to cook till the turais are tender.Do not add water as turais leave their own water.
6. Serve hot with chapatis.
Note: Do not throw the chhilkas(skin) from the turais.Here is the recipe which can be made from the turai skin.
1. Cut the chhilkas into 1/2 inch pieces.Peel and cut potatoes in small pieces.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds,asafoetida.
3. Now add the veggies,salt,turmeric powder,garam masala,red chili powder in it.
4. Mix well and cover to cook till the potatoes are done.