Here is a combination of chana(yellow gram) and urad(black) split dals.This is my mom's all time favourite dal.I made this dal once for a gathering at my place and I got compliments for this recipe.So sharing this recipe with all of you.
Monday, June 29, 2009
Chana dal 1/2 cup
Urad dal 1/2 cup
Onion 1 small
Garlic 2-3 pods
Ginger 1/2 inch piece
Saunf/fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
Jeera/Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Ghee 2 tbsp
Turmeric pw 1/2 tsp
Garam masala 1 tsp
Red chili pw 1 tsp
Amchoor/dry mango pw 1/2 tsp
1. Wash and soak the dals for 15 minutes.
2. Pressure cook dals with 3 1/2 cups water,salt and turmeric powder,grated ginger.
3. For tempering/tadka heat ghee and add fennel seeds,cumin seeds,asafoetida.When it begin to crackle add chopped onion,garlic and fry it.
4. Add this tadka to the dal and add all the masalas in it.Check the consistency if needed add water.
5. Cook for 5 more minutes and its ready to serve with rice.
I am sending this recipe to the event MY Legume Love Affair: Twelfth Helping