Sasoma is a very popular snack not only in India but also in many other Asian countries.It is a stuffed pastry which is triangular in shape.The stuffing could be anything like spicy potatoes,peas,paneer,carrots,cabbage,minced meat.It can be made in two ways either deep fry them in hot oil or bake them in oven.In north part of India it is a snack of common man and can be find easily from the roadside chaat stalls/hawkers and sweet shops.
All Purpose Flour/Maida 2 cup
Carom seeds/Ajwain 1/2 tsp
Ghee/Oil 4-5 tbsp
Potatoes 4-5 large
Cumin seeds 2 tsp
Coriander seeds 1 tsp
Fennel seeds 1 tsp
Asafoetida 1-2 pinch
Garam Masala 2 tsp
Dry mango pw/Amchoor 2 tsp
Green Coriander Leaves
Green Chili 3-4
Red Chili pw 1 tsp
Oil for frying
1. To make the dough take maida,salt,ajwain,ghee in a bowl.Now add some water to make a stiff dough.Cover it with a damp cloth and keep aside for nearly 30 minutes.
2. Boil,peel and coarsely mash potatoes.
3. Heat 3-4 tbsp oil in a frying pan and add cumin seeds,coriander seeds,asafoetida.Let the seeds crackle.Add green chillies and fry it for a while.
4. Add mashed potatoes,salt,garam masala,saunf,red chili powder,amchoor powder and mix well.Heat it for 4-5 minutes and finally add chopped green coriander leaves in it.Filling is ready.
5. Divide the dough into small golf like balls( nearly 8 ).Roll each ball into a circle shape just like chapati using some dry flour.
6. Cut this chapati into half along the diameter.Apply little water on the edges and shape each half into a cone.
7. Fill this cone with the potato mixture and seal the edges well.
8. Repeat the process to make all the samosas.Now deep fry them in medium hot oil till crisp and golden brown in colour.Take out and place them on a kitchen paper towel.
9. Enjoy hot samosas with your favourite chutney.
Sending this recipe to then event State Special hosted by Shanti of Shanti KrishnaKumar's Cook book.