Lauki,doodhi or ghiya are names of bottle gourd.It contain moderate amounts of Vitamins C and B complex and a few proteins. Their high water content makes them cooling ,lubricating and it is very easy to digest.In this recipe koftas are made from lauki and then cooked in onion-tomato gravy.
Lauki/bottle gourd 1 lbs
Besan/gram flour 2-3 tbsp
Onion 2 medium
Ginger-garlic paste 1 tbsp
Garam masala 1/2 tsp
Cumin pw 1/2 tsp
Coriander pw 1 tsp
Red chili pw 1 tsp
Turmeric pw 1/4 tsp
Green coriander leaves
1. Wash, peel and grate lauki.Squeeze water from grated lauki and keep aside this water.Now add besan and little salt to it and mix very well to make a thick batter.Beat this mixture well to make soft koftas.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and pour spoonful of mixture in it to make koftas.Fry till golden brown in colour.Remove from oil and keep aside on a kitchen paper towel.
3. Grind 1 onion and cut the other lengthwise.Grind tomatoes to make a paste.
4. Heat 2 tbsp oil and chopped onions and fry till golden.
5. Add ginger-garlic and onion paste and fry it for 3-4 minutes.Add tomato paste, salt and all the spices and fry till the oil leaves the masalas.
6. Now add lauki water to make gravy and bring this to a boil.Gently put koftas in this gravy and cook for 2 minutes on low flame.
7. Finally garnish with chopped coriander leaves and cream.