Kadhi has chickpea flour dumplings cooked in yogurt-chickpea flour-water gravy.It is a very popular dish in north India but every state has a different recipe.As I belong to U.P. I always make kadhi in my mothers style which is very much similar to punjabi kadhi but not exactly the same .The kadhi-chawal(rice) combination always brings water to my mouth( hmmmmm......yummmy). Here goes its recipe
Dahi/plain yogurt 1 cup
Besan/chickpea flour 1 cup
Onion 1 small
Ginger chopped 1 tsp
Garlic chopped 1 tsp
Methi/fenugreek seeds 1 tsp
Asafoetida 1 pinch
Whole red chili 1-2
Garam masala 1 tsp
Red chili pw 1 tsp
Turmeric pw 1/2 tsp
1. First to make pakodis/dumplings mix 1/2 cup besan,salt and enough water in a bowl to make a smooth batter(not too watery).Beat it properly to make soft pakodis.
2. Heat oil in a thick bottom pan/kadhai and drop small portions of the batter.Deep fry it and take out of oil when done.Keep them aside.
3. Mix dahi,1/2 cup besan,turmeric powder,red chili powder,garam masala,salt and 4 cups water.Beat well to avoid any lumps.
4. Now heat 2 tbsp oil and add methi seeds,asafoetida,whole red chili.Further add the chopped onions,ginger,garlic and fry till golden in colour.
5. Add dahi-besan mixture to this tempering.Keep stirring continuously till it comes to a boil.
6.Add the pakodis and heat for 5 more minutes on low flame.
Note: 1. Here is a little variation if you are in a hurry.Instead of pakodis you can add veggies like potatoes,peas,cauliflower and believe me it will be simply awesome.
2. In the pakodi batter you can also add chopped onions,red chili powder.