Kulcha is very famous Indian bread originally from Punjab.Traditionally it is made in tandoor(Indian clay-oven) but it can be made in our electric oven at home also.
All purpose flour/Maida 4 cups
Salt 1/4 tsp
Baking pw 1 tsp
Baking Soda 1/4 tsp
Milk 1 cup
Sugar 1 tsp
Yogurt 1 tbsp
Oil 1 tbsp
Green coriander chopped 2 tbsp
Cumin pw 1 tsp
Red chili pw 1 tsp
1. To make the dough sieve together flour,salt,baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl whisk together milk,egg,sugar,yogurt.
3. Now pour this liquid mixture on the flour and knead a soft and smooth dough.If needed add a little warm water and knead for 10-15 minutes.
4. Oil the dough and cover it with a damp cloth.Keep aside in a warm place for 2 hours.
5. To make the stuffing chop the onions finely and add cumin powder,red chili powder,salt and green coriander.The stuffing should be dry.(You can also add a boiled,mashed potato in it to make it dry)
6. To make kulchas knead the dough for again 5 minutes and divide it into 8 equal balls.
7. Preheat the oven at 400 degree F and lightly grease two baking trays with butter.
8. Take one ball and sprinkle some dry flour on it and flat it with your palm and roll it into a small circle.
9. Place a spoonful of stuffing on top of it and fold the sides to make it a ball again.Now roll it into an oval or circle.
10. Moisten the surface of the kulcha with little water and sprinkle a few chopped green coriander leaves on it.
11. Repeat this process to make all 8 kulchas like this.
12. Place them on the baking trays and bake for 5 minutes.Now turn the broiler on for 2-3 minutes to make your kulchas golden in colour.
13. Take them out and apply some butter on each kulcha.Serve hot with chhola-masala.