Farhe is a snack from UP(Uttar Pradesh) the political heart of India, which is made as an offering to God on some festivals like karwachauth and bhayia dooj.Farhe is basically rice dumplings cooked with gram dal stuffing.
Rice Flour 2 cup
Chana/Gram dal 1 cup
Green chili 1-2
Oil 2 tbsp
1. Wash and soak chana dal overnight.In the morning drain and grind the dal using very little water.Add some salt in it.
2. Take rice flour in a big bowl and knead it into a dough using little water at a time.
3. Make small lemon size balls out of this dough and flatten it into a circle using your hands.
4. Put a spoonful of dal inside this circle and fold the circle into a semi circle.
5. Now there are two ways to cook these dumplings.First method is steaming them and second method is put the balls in boiling water.
6. I used the second method.Boil water in a big pot and pour the dumplings in batches.Let them cook in water for 5 minutes and then take out.Allow them to cool.
7. Now with a sharp knife cut each dumpling in thin slices.
8. Heat oil in a pan/kadhayi and add in it chopped onion and green chili.Fry till golden in colour.Now add the dumpling slices,some salt and cook for 4-5 minutes.
9. It's ready to serve with green coriander chutney.