Last time when I visited my farmer's market I was extremely happy to see loads of green veggies.From the very first time I saw these fresh bathua(hindi name) leaves there.In India these leaves are also known as paruppukkirai,pappukara,vastuccira,chakvit and fat hen,pigweed,lambs-quarters in english.These leaves are very nutritious and contain protein,Vitamin A,calcium,phosphorus and potassium.Here is the recipe of parathas made of bathua.
Bathua Leaves 1 Bunch
Wheat Flour 2 cup
Cumin Seeds 1 tsp
Green Chili 1-2
1. Take the bathua leaves and discard the stems.Wash the leaves in a colander under running water and chop them finely.
2. In a big bowl take the flour and mix in it the chopped leaves,salt,chopped green chillies,cumin seeds with your hands.
3. Now add little water at a time to knead it into a medium-soft dough.Cover it and keep aside for 20-25 minutes.
4. Make round balls from this dough and roll it into a small circle with a rolling pin applying dry flour.Apply a little oil/ghee on this and close it from all the sides,forming a round ball again.
5. Roll this ball into a round circle as we do in roti/chapati.
6. Cook this paratha on a preheated tava/griddle over medium flame.Apply oil/ghee on both sides of the parathas.Remove it from the tava/griddle when it is golden brown from both sides.
7. Serve hot with pickles/relish/chutney.