Dal Makhani is the most popular dals in north India.It's made of whole urad(black lentils) and rajma(red kidney beans) with loads of butter and cream.I have made this dal on many gatherings at my place and the results were always awesome.
Whole Urad Dal(black lentils) 2 cup
Rajma(red kidney beans) 1/2 cup
Tomato Puree 4 tbsp
Ginger-garlic paste 1 tbsp
Fennel-seeds(saunf) pw 1 tsp
Red chili pw 1 tsp
Coriander pw 1 tbsp
Bay Leaves 1-2
Cinnamon stick 1 inch
Green cardamom 2-3
Black peppercorns 7-8
Asafoetida a pinch
Butter 3-4 tbsp
Oil 1 tbsp
Cream 1/2 cup
1. Wash and soak the rajma overnight.You can also use canned ones.
2. Wash and soak urad dal for 2 hours.
3. Pressure cook urad+rajma with salted water till its done.
4. Heat oil in a pan/kadhayi and add all the whole spices(bay leaves,cinnamon stick,cloves,green cardamom,black peppers),asafoetida.
5. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry it.
6. Add tomato puree,red chili powder,fennel powder,coriander powder and fry it.
7. Add butter and fry it on slow flame till the oil leaves the masala.Now if required add water and cook till its boiling.
8. Add this to the dal and heat the dal on medium flame.Add cream and mix it.Heat this dal for 15 minutes on medium-low flame.
9. Serve hot with jeera-rice.